Saturday, October 6, 2012

Superspeed Math

By learning you will teach;
by teaching you will understand.
Latin Proverb
 
 
 
I have been waiting for my weekly therapy, excuse me, Whole Brain webinar session to focus on math since I'm teaching two sessions of math daily.  It was such a disappointment to hear the big day was happening on my mother's birthday which caused me to miss the webinar, therefore the fun dialogue that accompanies it.
 
 
I am having to settle for watching the session online but in a way, it is allowing me to focus more on the content instead of the witty companionship of my fellow wibbeteers.
 
 
Coach began with addressing the reason that students are struggling in mathematics.  He stated four basic reasons.
 
1.  Lack of repetition
 
2.  Errors corrected too late
 
 
3.  Zero fun
 
 
4.  Non-Motivating Rewards
 
 
The answer is Superspeed Math.  This addresses all four reasons that cause students to struggle with math.  Superspeed is an easy program whereby students drill one another, making immediate corrections while having a load of fun and feeling empowered through their improvements.
 
I've been using Superspeed math as one of my rotating math stations.  I'll agree, kids love it!  They love the opportunity to beat themselves and the  time commitment is so short that they don't feel discouraged.  I realized however, that I need to tweak a few aspects of my implementation of the program. 
 
After students improve one time, they are supposed to move down one line as the next starting point.  I have not had my students doing this which means they have not been increasing the difficulty of their sessions.  I plan to up the ante this week.  By increasing the difficulty level, students can progress through the various components which will continue the challenge for them, especially the more apt students. 
 
I also don't feel that I am using the program frequently enough.  I am being forced to use a program called Fast Math for students to practice math facts.  I have felt somewhat resentful at how much time that program will take and have not been willing to give any other instruction time to facts but I believe that brief practice frequently used will heed better results.  This week, I will participate in my FM obligatory requirements but will then use SuperSpeed on alternating days.  I'm excited.
 
Coach continued the math discussion introducing Chocolate Math.  The concept is simple, as it should be and can be used for a multitude of mathematical situations, which is effective.  He has created a 100's chart in the form of chocolate pieces and showed with that simple tool, how you can use it to have students prove mathematical concepts.  Students would draw lines in various colors on the laminated charts to prove word problems and story concepts.  The simplicity is what will make this successful.  The chocolate (even though on paper) is what will hook kids.  I can't wait to give it a try.
 
 
All for now,
 
Bells
 


1 comment:

Factivation said...

Thanks for this very useful info you have provided us. I will bookmark this for future reference and refer it to my friends. More power to your blog.

Math facts